Final Preview: Mohun Bagan lock horns against Gokulam Kerala in the 129th edition of the Durand Cup
For the first time in history, the Durand Cup shifted from Delhi and travelled to Kolkata. The historic tournament is set to host the final match where Mohun Bagan is one step behind from creating history. They first won the Durand Cup in 1953 and last in 2000. If Mohun Bagan manages to win today, they will have a record 17 Durand Titles. However, their opponents from the south, Gokulam Kerala FC is the only team from Kerala since 1997 to play in the prestigious Durand Cup final. Ironically in 1997, FC Kochin from Kerala played against Mohun Bagan and defeated them by a scoreline of 3-1. It is to be seen if history will repeat itself tomorrow or we have a new record made at the VYBK Stadium, Kolkata.
In their last 4 encounters, Gokulam has won a match and drew the other three against Bagan. However, in the Durand Cup, both the teams have won all their matches so far and are waiting for the final match.
MOHUN BAGAN: The Mariners under the guidance of Head Coach Kibu Vicuna has played well in this coveted competition. In their previous match against Real Kashmir, the team dominated thoroughly and played freely to clinch the victory. Ahead of the final, the team is injury-free and looks jubilant. Although, Mohun Bagan will be highly alert of the previous results against Gokulam and their current form.
Manager: Kibu Vicuna
Probable Formation: 4-2-3-1
Debjit Majumder (GK)
Ashutosh Mehta (RB)
Fran Morante (CB)
Gurjinder Kumar (LB)
Joseba Beitia (CDM)
Sheikh Sahil (CDM)
Surabuddin Mollick (CAM)
Nongdamba Naorem (LW)
Alexander Romario Jesuraj (RW)
Salva Chamorro (FW)
- Salva Perez Martinez – More renowned as Salva Chamorro, No. 9, Forward. The Spanish forward played a pivotal role in Bagan’s qualification. Chamorro has scored 2 goals in his opening game of the Durand Cup against Mohammedan SC. He smashed an amazing shot into the net in the semis to break the deadlock for Mohun Bagan in the 42nd minute of the match. Chamorro has 3 goals to his name currently.
- Joseba Beitia – No. 10, Midfielder. The Spanish midfielder is a very important addition to the Mohun Bagan outfit. Beitia scored one goal against ATK and has an assist to his name in this Durand Cup. He played a major role in the semis but was later substituted due to injury concerns.
- VP Suhair – No. 20, Forward. Romario Jesuraj was substituted with Suhair VP at the 68th minute on the semis. After losing the lead at the dying moment, Suhair’s brace ensured Mohun Bagan’s victory in the extra time.
GOKULAM KERALA FC: The Malabarians are renowned as the giant killers in the Indian football circuit, and they have well maintained this tagline. They have had an exceptional campaign so far where they scored 11 goals from 3 matches in the group stages and then went on to clinch a historic victory against the Calcutta giants, East Bengal in the Semi-Final of the prestigious Durand Cup. The squad looks robust with the late addition of Henry Kisseka into the team, who previously plied his trade for Mohun Bagan. Henry has a total of 27 appearances for the Mariners and has scored 11 goals for them. His experience of playing in the Calcutta maidan and for the opposition can be considered as a pivotal point in favour of Gokulam Kerala.
Manager: Fernando Santiago Varela
Probable Formation: 4-4-2
- Ubaid CK (GK)
- Naocha Singh (DF)
- Andre Ettienne (DF)
- Sebastian Thangmuansang (DF)
- Jestin George (DF)
- Mohamed Irshad Thaivalapil (MF)
- Malemngamba Meitei (MF)
- Sebastian Thangmuansang (MF)
- Shibil Muhammed (MF)
- Henry Kisseka (FW)
- Marcus Joseph (FW)
- Marcus Joseph: No. 10, Forward. Marcus Joseph has been a star performer for Gokulam Kerala in this Durand Cup. He has a total of 9 goals to his name from 4 matches. Joseph scored two hat tricks and a brace against Chennaiyin FC, TRAU and Indian Air Force respectively in the group stage fixtures. He also scored the penalty for Gokulam Kerala at the dying moments which equalised the match and extended the semi-finals against East Bengal to extra time. He is the top scorer in the tournament until now.
- Henry Kisseka: No. 31, Forward. Henry played his first match in the Durand Cup in the Semi-Finals. He was ruled out due to an injury. Henry played for Mohun Bagan in the previous season and was released to Gokulam this year. He has made 27 appearances for the Mariners last season and has scored 11 goals for them.
- Malem Meitei: No. 14, Midfielder. Malem joined Gokulam Kerala FC this year. He had a good season with Neroca last year and has also played for Bengaluru FC from 2013-15.
VENUE: VYBK Stadium, Kolkata
TIME: 5:00 PM
BROADCASTING: Star Sports 3 & Hotstar
Author’s Take: We’re set to witness the finals of the 129th edition of the Durand Cup. There’s no doubt we will witness an end to end affair with Mohun Bagan, the home team having a slight edge over their counterparts. However, keeping in mind the last few results and Gokulam’s current form, they have the potential to win the match today!
For Trial related updates: Latest trials updates in Mumbai Football
Football Counter would love to hear your thoughts or feedback on your experience: Feedback on Football Counter experience
Mumbai based club PIFA will be conducting an open trials for the upcoming season of Youth I league and MDFA Elite division. While the PIFA senior team ply their trade…
It’s not often that a rival coach in football is applauded by journalists at the post-match press conference. Moments after India drew 0-0 with Indonesia to earn a berth in the quarterfinals…
In the Country so obsessed with Cricket, the fact that some of the world’s oldest football tournaments are played in India undermine the rich legacy of the game. IFA Shield,…
Mumbai, 23rd April: Indian Football Academy are having trials for youth players U13, U15, U18 to play in youth I-League. To play at the top level requires a platform and…
I-League side East Bengal fights off competition from ISL clubs to sign Goalkeeper Lalthuammawia Ralte from FC Goa on a loan deal According to inside sources, there were many Indian Super…
Trials will be held in Mumbai, Pune, Nasik, Kolhapur and Nagpur across boys and girls categories for deserving players residing in Maharashtra. The All India Football Federation (AIFF) in association…
Hero Indian Super League today announced the fixtures for 2018-19 until the mid-season break, featuring 12 rounds, 59 games with a kick-off in Kolkata. Fifth edition of Hero ISL will…
The MDFA Committee has announced the fixtures of MDFA youth league under 14 and under 12 on Thursday evening in their office, at Parel. Here are the fixtures: Youth League…
The Goan, who just last month signed for a Portuguese 4th Division side GDSC Alvarenga, came up with a late winner for his side. Sahil Tavora who had earlier represented…
Kalina Rangers, who had earlier won the Red Bull Neymar Jr’s Five national finals is off to Brazil, where the team will be representing India in the world finals. After…
Fresh from his Nadkarni Cup title winning campaign – Sanchit Singh, who won the player of the tournament award, talks about his maiden experience of the tournament and his future…
Despite facing a career threatening injury even before his professional career began, Kasif Jamal has stood the test of time and destiny to carve out his own mark in Mumbai…
Young talent from Mumbai, Advait Shinde explains the experience gained from his recent outing with the Bengaluru Reserves
Advait Shinde, a boy from Mumbai, who dreamt to make it big in football has finally got his breakthrough. He used to play for Air India in the MDFA earlier….
Despite the Durand Cup loss, Chennaiyin FC reserve team Coach Kali Alaudeen believes team has a lot of positives to take home. Chennaiyin FC reserve team coach Kali Alaudeen –…
Defying their age, Veteran players plying their trade in Mumbai Football over the last couple of season have shown that they can still pull strings on field and lead the…
Amidst growing demand of more games for Indian footballers, WIFA aims to revive the once crown jewel of Mumbai Football – Rovers Cup After Indian national team Coach Igor Stimac…
As Borivali Premier League enters its business end, players laud the tournament for giving opportunities to young city players while also setting up as perfect pre-season for Mumbai Football We sit…
The complications in the valley fail to distract Danish Farooque, the star performer of Real Kashmir FC
The aftermath of the lockdown in force in Jammu & Kashmir in the scrapping of Article 370 has left the players of Real Kashmir FC unable to contact their friends…
After finding success at both national and International level with its men’s team, Joga Bonito has now shifted its focus to its women’s team Joga Bonito women’s team emerged victorious…