Pune City wins 3-1 as Kenkre FC loose opening home match

Pune city

Cooperage, 29 November 2016: Kenkre Football Club welcomed Football Club Pune City for their I-League under-18 fixture on Wednesday evening. The visitors, FC Pune City recorded a 3-1 victory over the hosts; as Kenkre FC failed to carry their momentum from the side’s 5-0 thrashing of MUM – PIFA Sports (Colaba) F.C on the previous matchday.

The first of three goals for Pune City came in the 38th minute, forward Nijw Muchahary’s sharpness inside the box to instinctively react and convert, gave his side a one-goal lead going into the second-45 minutes.

During the first half hour of play, neither side looked like breaking the deadlock, despite FC Pune City dominating the majority of it in terms of possession of the ball. Prior to the opening goal of the match, Pune City completed a string of passing moves before they eventually scored past Adil Sameja – in-goal for Kenkre.

The home side, Kenkre did not enjoy control against MUM – PIFA Sports (Colaba) in the second-half, having done all the good work earlier. A repeat against Pune City saw Kenkre slip further as the visiting team managed to score twice in the second-half.

Pune City, courtesy of their win, now lead the table with maximum points (6) after two games, having beaten Mumbai F.C. 2-1, in a close encounter, at home. Meanwhile, Kenkre, who showed signs of improvement in their second match, produced a similar feat, which got them a (2-0) defeat vs. Mumbai F.C. on the matchday 1.

Pune City, who constantly looked for the all-important second goal, pushed Kenkre deeper into their own half, in the second-half. As a result, defender Ashish Rai found himself with time and space to put visitors Pune City two goals ahead in the 55th minute.

Kenkre has managed just three points from the opening three matches (W1, L2). Coach Akhil Kothari needs to change his side’s performances as the game matures, and start collecting points from losing positions, with barely time remaining.

Pune City struck again in the 74th minute through Buanthunglun Samte to round up the goalscoring for visitors, displaying the team’s complete supremacy over the two halves. In added time, on 92 minutes, Kenkre got their consolation through their in-form player Shaunak Ghorpade.

As referee Raunak Gajbhiye blew the full-time whistle, Pune City had eased past a positive-looking Kenkre side, managing to make a solid remark; with back-to-back wins – at home and on the road – Pune City looks seemingly set to get past DSK Shivajians, if they can manage to continue their good form.

For the Photo album please click here!