ISL 3: 82nd minute strike from Javi lara salvage ATK a draw against Mumbai

Javi lara once again in rescue for ATK

A late strike in the second half by ATK’s Javi lara was enough for 10 man Mumbai to drop two points at home after Pronay Halder was sent off.

Javi lara once again in rescue for ATK

An entertaining game in Mumbai ended in 1-1 draw as both the unbeaten teams of ISL 3 shared points. With this draw, Mumbai topped the table with 7 points, one above second placed NEUFC, while Atletico de Kolkata moved to third place with 5 points after three games.

Mumbai city had one forced change from their previous game, Haokip coming for Marquee Forlan. Sony Norde was also available at bench after missing the previous tie to international duties. ATK were also without their Injured Marquee player with Juan Balencoso coming in for Postiga, while Bikramjit was also back in the starting squad.

The game began with end to end football, with Mumbai looking a better side in the attack. After taking couple of shots off target, It was away side that came close in the fifth minute, Hume’s cross found lara inside the box, whose header went straight in to the hands of Mumbai keeper Volpato.

In the 8th minute, Haokip was through on goal after being played onside by Mondal, but lost his footing just outside the box after the onrushing Debjit caught the forward on his legs, but the referee missed the foul as Mumbai missed an opportunity. Haokip was once again seen in the midst of another Mumbai counter attack, after being played onside by Tiri, Haokip ran down the left and saw his shot hit the cross bar, the ball fell on the path of onrushing Leo Costa whose shot went off target.

In the 27th minute, Mumbai finally broke the deadlock; Defederico’s left footed effort beat Debjit Majumder in goal as the home side went into the lead. Few Minutes later, Mumbai were robbed of a penalty after Majumdar spilled the ball and his trailing leg caught Haokip.

Also read: ISL 3: Blasters goalless run continues with a draw against Delhi Dynamos

In the 42nd minute, after earning a foul, Lara’s free-kick from the right saw Belencoso’s glancing header just miss the target. Half time ended with Mumbai looking comfortable with a 1-0 lead.

Second half began with ATK deciding to go with a couple of changes right away, Pearson coming in for Hume, while Ruidas replaced Bikramjit. In the 58th minute A 30 yard shot from Vadocz saw the Kolkata keeper saving with a fully fledged dive to his right. Around 64th minute, Borja played a ball across the face of goal which hit the knee of Doutie, yards away from on its way out.

Around 71st minute, Pronay committed a rash foul on Borja to pick his second yellow of the night, as Mumbai were left with 10 man on the field for rest of the game. With ATK players surging forward in search of the equalizer, Gumaires brought in Anwar Ali for Sehnaj singh.

In the 82nd minute, ATK equalized through Javi Lara’s strike that took a deflection of a diving Jackichand Singh in to the net. Later on, ATK had another opportunity to take the lead, but tiri’s header missed the target as the match ended with both teams sharing the spoils.

Mumbai City FC 1 (Defederico 27’) – 1 Atletico de Kolkata (Javi Lara 82’)